Computer Clinic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pros and Cons

+10
gerald.ramos
TeddyBee
uvero jerico
Jr Despi
Jeeees Acar
kensan13
TJ Cruz
rainbowgrei
rhcasison
Ma'am Monday
14 posters
Go down
Ma'am Monday
Admin
http://dathornlessrose.forumotion.asia

Pros and Cons Empty Pros and Cons

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:02 pm
The most popular operating system was the Windows made by Microsoft Corporation. There are many available operating system that can perform as good as Windows. Can you name an operating system? Compare it to Windows. Give their pros and cons. Very Happy
rhcasison

Pros and Cons Empty Re: Pros and Cons

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm
MAC OS
rhcasison

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm
Mac OS is the computer operating system for Apple Computer's Macintosh line of personal computers and workstations. A popular feature of its latest version, Mac OS X , is a desktop interface with some 3-D appearance characteristics. OS X has a modular design intended to make it easier to add new features to the operating system in the future. It runs UNIX applications as well as older Mac applications.
rhcasison

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:08 pm
Differences between Mac and PC

Cost: Macs are much more expensive, with some models costing well over $1000. In contrast, PCs are cheaper and some are priced as low as 40% cheaper than comparable Macs.

Manufacturer/Distributor: Mac Os and Mac hardware are all exclusively produced, distributed and marketed by Apple Inc. There are however, several companies that make and distribute PCs and they include HP, Dell, Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo, Gateway, Samsung etc. This is a reason PCs cost less than Macs, as each company is likely to offer competitive prices to attract more buyers.

Popular Applications: The Mac OS has its own unique applications, which are iTunes, iPhoto, iBooks, iMovie, Pages, GarageBand, Time Machine, Photo Booth, FaceTime, Safari, Keynote, etc. The common PC applications are Internet Explorer, MS Office Suite, Windows Defender, Chrome Browser, Windows Media Center, VLC Media Player, SkyDrive, etc.

Compatibility: Macs can open most of PC file formats, such as .xls, .doc, .exe and others. Windows OS can seamlessly run on a Mac with no compatibility issues. This is not so with PCs. Without using software that can open Mac OS-based files (.DMG), a PC cannot read .DMG files.

Performance: Mac OS operates efficiently without lagging and has stable, high rated performance, as only Apple Inc handles all its OS and hardware updates. PCs often have incompatibility and lagging issues as they are produced by different companies and may not have the right drivers for specific OS and model updates. PC performance may be below expectation.

Strengths of Mac OS

1. Due to its UNIX core, it is very secure and much less vulnerable to destructive virus attacks.
2. Mac Os is very stable because all its parts are designed, manufactured and tested by one company.
3. The well designed graphic user interface (GUI) of Mac OS is very user friendly.
4. Other Apple products, such as iPad, and even non-Apple ones are recognized by Mac OS without having to install other drivers for them.
5. It can run most other operating systems and can even run Windows XP side by side using Parallels Software or Boot Camp.

Weaknesses of Mac OS

1. Macs and Mac OS are very expensive compared to other computers and operating systems.
2. Most computer video games are not run by Mac OS and only few games are made for it.
3. There are fewer software choices available here.

Strengths of PC operating System

1. A lot of people find it easier to use as the developers of the software have maintained its basic features from the earlier versions to the most recent updates.
2. A large selection of applications and software catering to different purposes have been made for PC.
3. There is backward compatibility, as the older versions can still work with more current Windows versions.
4. New hardware is easily recognized by this OS.
5. Many video games are designed to be compatible with PC.

Weaknesses of PC operating system

1. Its security is weak and easier for hackers to penetrate.
2. There is high vulnerability to viruses and other malware.
3. Technical support service is mostly inadequate.
4. The system is comparatively unstable.
5. Older hardware gets poor continuous support.
rhcasison

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:10 pm
Pros and Cons:

Mac Hardware Costs Too Much for What You Get
Windows Has More Software
Windows Offers Greater Flexibility
rhcasison

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 pm
Pros and Cons:

Macs Have Fewer Viruses and Require Less Maintenance
Both Platforms Work Well for Designers
Windows Offers a Better Gaming Experience
Neither Operating System Is Easier to Learn
rainbowgrei

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:00 pm
The Mac OS
Mac OS is the computer operating system for Apple Computer's Macintosh line of personal computers and workstations. A popular feature of its latest version, Mac OS X , is a desktop interface with some 3-D appearance characteristics.
rainbowgrei

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:01 pm
Mac Pros and Windows Cons. Macs have a built-in program called BootCamp, which allows you to install Windows, Linux or other operating systems in addition to OS X. Setting up a dual boot system in OS X is infinitely easier than it is in Windows
rainbowgrei

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:02 pm
Mac Pros and Windows Cons
Macs have a built-in program called BootCamp, which allows you to install Windows, Linux or other operating systems in addition to OS X. Setting up a dual boot system in OS X is infinitely easier than it is in Windows. It’s also super easy to switch between the two operating systems.
Macs work better with other Apple products in terms of software. This includes features like Handoff, iMessage, iCloud, iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Keychain, Find My iPhone, etc. Microsoft has tried to copy this, but only partially.Macs are less complicated and more intuitive to use. This is a very debatable point and the reason why I also list it as a con in the section below. If you’ve always been a Windows user, it can initially be counter-intuitive to use, however, I’ve found that it’s more logical once you get used to it.
Even though Macs can get viruses or malware, the number of threats is still significantly less than for Windows just because the Windows base is so much larger.
Almost all new PCs come installed with loads of bloatware from PC manufacturers, which requires manual removal. Mac computers have pre-installed software, but only from Apple and they don’t slow down your system. If you’re technically savvy, this is a non-issue, otherwise it can be a major nuisance.
Apple has excellent customer support, AppleCare warranty programs, and exclusive Apple Stores where you can take your Mac or other Apple products for repairs, training or other issues.
rainbowgrei

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:02 pm
Macs are sleek and visually appealing. To get something close from PC manufacturers usually ends up negating the higher cost factor for Apple products.
Speaking of cost, Macs are more expensive than PCs, but they also hold their resale value far better than PCs.
Apple computers have some of the highest customer satisfaction rates in the industry. When you purchase a Mac, you are getting a high-quality machine. This can be true for PCs also, but with so many manufacturers and configurations, getting the best quality can be more difficult.
Macs tend to be a bit more innovative in design and features. For example, Macs include Thunderbolt, USB Type C ports, multi-touch trackpads, force touch, keyboard backlighting and more.
rainbowgrei

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:03 pm
PCs are manufactured by many different companies, resulting in a huge selection of devices with a wide variation in prices. With Apple, you have only a few choices with set prices. In terms of desktops, Apple has only one geared towards consumers, so if the cost is prohibitive, a Windows desktop will be a much better choice.
PCs are more up-gradable and configurable. On Macs, you can usually only upgrade the RAM or hard drive and that’s it. Pretty much every component on a desktop PC can be switched out. When purchasing PCs, you also have a lot more options that you can configure including processors, cases, memory, hard drives, ports, displays, etc.
rainbowgrei

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:03 pm
Overall, there is a lot more software available for Windows than for PC. The opposite is true when you look at smartphones, but we’re talking about computers here. There is usually an equivalent Mac program for every Windows app, but they are not always as good.
Windows based PCs may have greater backwards compatibility. A five year old PC can easily run Windows 10 without any issue. A five year old Mac can run the latest version of OS X, but half the features will be missing and things don’t run as smoothly. For some reason, you always need the latest Mac in order to utilize all the new features in OS X.
PCs are the absolute best option when it comes to gaming. Macs simply do not come with as powerful graphics cards, even high-end machines like the Mac Pro.
rainbowgrei

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:04 pm
Worldwide, most computers are PCs and Windows is the most popular operating system by far. This means the community is much larger and you can get more support for software and hardware.
In terms of accessories, PCs have a lot more options and those options are usually cheaper.
Though OS X is simpler, that’s not always the best for some people. Windows is more complex and powerful than OS X.
PCs can be configured with hardware that Apple considers obsolete. Some newer Apple machines don’t even come with CD/DVD drives. It also seems Apple keeps reducing the number of ports on each newer machine. The new Macbook has one USB port and one headphone jack and that’s it.
PCs work great with a whole slew of other products too. For example, you can stream your Xbox or PlayStation games to Windows.
These are some of the major pros and cons when it comes to Mac and PCs. There are a ton of other smaller pluses and minuses, but I don’t think those warrant that much attention when discussing this topic in general terms. Obviously, if you’re a professional graphics designer, then looking at specific compatible hardware and software would make more sense.

The point of this article is not to say one platform is better than the other, because that is simply not true. If you are a college student and the only thing that matters to you is your budget, then a Mac will probably not be best choice, regardless of the other benefits. In my opinion, if you have never tried a Mac, you should ask a friend or family member to loan you a device to see how you feel about it. Just about everyone has used Windows, so you pretty much know what you are getting in terms of software.
rainbowgrei

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:05 pm
Macs Have Fewer Viruses and Require Less Maintenance

People used to argue that Macs had no viruses. Some still do, although that statement is no longer true. Nevertheless, far fewer viruses exist for Mac and most Mac users get by just fine without any antivirus protection. While this may not last forever, and Apple doesn't have the best reputation when handling security issues, fewer viruses is a current and legitimate perk of OS X. Windows, on the other hand, suffers from more than just a few security exploits as reader Stego
rainbowgrei

With Windows, you have to stay on top of driver updates, security patches, Anti-Virus software (still recommended for the Mac, mind, but it's a particular problem with Windows), etc. Windows is easily bogged down with clutter, bloatware, and memory munchers.
rainbowgrei

Even though Windows can require a bit of maintenance, not every PC features bloatware (such as the ones you build yourself) and requires more updates than a Mac. Microsoft also handles security issues better and created Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender in Windows Cool to combat viruses easily. While we feel Microsoft's offering fell behind its competition, plenty of free antivirus software exists and works great. Additionally, viruses don't account for some of our primary security concerns nowadays. As reader Strife Caecus points out, social engineering attacks and browser-based traps largely contribute to the overall problem:
rainbowgrei

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm
macs by most people are considered much better quality than pcs, and there are many sworn devotees of macs and pcs alike. however im going to state the pros and cons of each. and below comment what you think is better after reading this article.
(if you think im biast towards windows or macs i own a macbook and i built my own desktop so im not biast towards each brand)

first up
MAC PROS:

1. PORTABILITY. macs are mainly hailed as being very portable. the mac version of desktops (the imac) is a all in one desktop therefor making it much easier to move around and take to a friends house for a lan party etc.
2.ASTHETICS. macs are also highly praised for the metal construction and how thin they are. they are both which is the main reason why some people buy them.
3. APPLE SUPPORT. apple is really good with customer support unlike most pc brands (or if youre like me and built your own pc, sulf support) i have had a faulty motherboard on my macbook and i took it in and they exchanged it no questions asked so they definetly have the edge there because a few years back i had a brocken acer and it took me many calls and being on hold until i got to someone who told me what was wrong with it and in the end he was wrong so i fixed it myself.
4.APPLE AND APPLE = GREAT. as most people own iphones, macs make it extremely easy to use your iphone to the fullest.
5. CUSTOMIZED COMPONENTS, macs have customized components that are unchangeable and they give it a bit more speed.

second up
PC PROS:

1.POWER: many mac users think that macs are way faster than all pcs. this is a major misconception. most people when they buy a computer want to spend as least as possible so theyll get a 200-700 dollar hewlatt packard, or lenovo etc and then they switch to macs and there much faster so they think all macs are faster than pcs. the cheapest macbook is about 1300 dollars.. basically one of the main rules in computer buying is, you get what you pay for. and below there is a comparison between a mac and a pc at the same price range. i mean put it this way, macs can have a single radeon gpu while pcs can have quad sli/crossfire. thats the potential difference.
2.GAMING, pcs are better for gaming than macs due to pcs having much more availible games and programs, more power potential and higher upgradibilty potential.
3. UPGRADIBILITY, the main issue with macs is, once you buy a mac, you cant upgrade it without buying a new one. with pc desktops you can virtually change everything from the case,cpu,gpu,mobo,ram,hdd,ssd etc etc. with macs you cannot change anything including the ram as it is soldered onto the board.
4.FLEXIBILITY. pcs are a lot more robust than macs and are compatible with a lot more programs and games. also with pcs you can have two, three or even four identical monitors but with macs you can have the main mac then the extension monitors.
5. CHEAPER FOR MORE POWER, look at the comparisons below.

COMPARISON. (budget $2000 usd)
https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/ajabrennan1/saved/#view=MvWYcf
DESKTOP (when making pc desktop i highly reccomend building your own as it is fun easy and cheaper)
PC: (price pc alone 1700, plus keyboard mouse and monitors)
i7-6700k at 4 cores and 4.8ghz oc (or 7700k which released recently for cheaper)
msi nvidia geforce gtx 1070 liquid cooled
32gb ddr4 ram
asus z170 sabertooth mark 1 mobo
gold evga 750 psu
nzxt kracken x61 liquid cooled
nzxt h440 case
120gb ssd + 1tb hdd@ 7200 rpm (wd black)
plus optional keyboard mouse and monitor(s) with 300 dollar budget

IMAC: (price 2199)
http://www.apple.com/nz/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MK442X/A&step=config#
i5 @2.8ghz boost 3.3ghz quad core
8gb ddr3 ram (soldered on no upgradibility)
intel iris pro graphics 6200
1tb 5200 rpm hdd
mouse and keyboard included

EVALUATION:
no suprise there as pcs virtually owns the desktop realm in terms of power. so the graphics on the mac are integrated while on the pc it is a liquid cooled gtx 1070. 32gb ddr4 ram vs 8gb ddr3 on the mac, pc has 120gb ssd for boot and programs with extra 7200 rpm 1tb for extras while the mac has a single 1tb slower 5200rpm drive. so the only advantages the imac as over the pc is that its more portable, less cables and to some may look sleeker. everything else is owned by the pc and dont forget the mac cost an extra 199 dollars than the pc so you could upgrade to a 1080 if you wanted.

now this is where it gets interesting with laptops. laptops are definetly is apples strong point. they are said to be fast but most of all they ARE in general a lot more nice to hold as they are thin and metal (until they start doing heavy duty computing then you can fry an egg on them)

first up lets set a reasonable laptop budget for everyday computing and gaming. the most i would spend is about 1800 dollars on a laptop. (and if you wanted gaming strictly buy a pc but the gaming pcs have some really ad asthetics so im just getting youre average joe laptop).

LAPTOPS (budget 2500 usd)

lets start with the mac (price was 2500)
http://www.apple.com/nz/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MLL42X/A&step=config#

i5 dual core up to 3.1ghz
8gb ram
intel iris 540 graphics.
256gb ssd
this is the cheapest macbook PRO with the touchbar and all the asthetic features.

now the pc, i chose asus as a brand but there are many others
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GL702VS-DS74-17-3-Traditional-Laptop/dp/B01N6KLBR1/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1484017981&sr=1-12&keywords=asus+laptop&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011
(price 500 dollars less than mac 2000usd)

i7-7700hq 4 cores 3.8ghz
16gb ddr4 ram
gtx 1070 8gb vram
512gb ssd with 1tbhdd

so obviosly the laptop pc is considerably faster than the macbook pro. however again the asthetics of the mac are much better so if you want the asthetics soley id buy a mac, even though its more expensive, for a pc with similar asthetics it will be either the same price or 100-400 dollars cheaper however again macs are made as one synchronized powerhouse so all the components are made to work at there top potential.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
well it just depends about budget and what you want. if i wanted a laptop or desktop soley for gaming, video editing 3d rendering etc, i would 100% swear by pcs. if you wanted something for a bit of speed and great asthetics at a higher price i would get a mac.
so i can see why both pcs and macs have millions of sworn devotees because they each have there bonuses and some people rather one bonus over another.

MACS: for those who mainly surf the web, play lighter weight games and light editing and who want a portable machine and who have a rather high budget and dont mind spending a few hundred bucks extra to have a mac.

PCS: for the gamer, editor, coder, mixer and people who simply want more and more power.

both great computers, i like both but for the purposes mentioned above.
TJ Cruz

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:28 pm
MAC OS vs. Windows

MAC are relatively expensive compared to Windows.
Windows are the widely-used OS worldwide compared to MAC.
MAC involves exclusive features (iTunes, FaceTime, etc.) while Windows is versatile.
In terms of performance, MAC is relatively optimum when doing advanced tasks (audio production, video editing, etc.) compared to Windows.
kensan13

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm
Windows
With almost 90% of the operating system market share, you can't miss Windows. It's in commercial buildings, industrial facilities, as well as home computers.
Windows, having been introduced in 1985, is a very mature and complete piece of software. Yet, it has it's flaws...

Pros:
Compatibility: Almost every application, driver or game will work on Windows.
Technical support: Having so many users, you can always find someone (either online or offline) who can help you with Windows.
Huge quantity of function: When you get to know Windows well, you'll find out that there are so many functions that you can do almost anything quite easily.

Cons:
Viruses: You may need to buy an antivirus program, although free ones exist.
Slow: Windows, especially Vista and 7, requires a lot of computer resources (memory, processor, disk space), and thus, runs slower.
Price: It easily costs over a hundred dollars.

Macintosh
Apple's Macintosh OS is even older than Windows. It is the first ever successful graphical-based operating system, being released one year before it's Microsoft counterpart.

Pros:
Viruses: Apple Macs get almost no viruses. This is mostly due to Window's superior market share.
Reliability: Macs only run on Apple computers, and are thus less prone to hardware and software crashing.
Looks: Let's face it, most of the time, Mac just looks better than Windows.

Cons:
Expensive: Mac costs even more than Windows.
Only available on Apple computers: If you already have a computer, you cannot install MAC on it unless it's an Apple. Otherwise, you must buy a new computer.
Compatibility: Only a few programs will run on Mac, and almost no games.
Jeeees Acar

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:18 pm
Windows Pros:

Software: What are the odds of a specific software not being supported on Windows?
Familiarity: The world has been using Windows since Windows 98. Start menu hasn’t really gone away (Except for *cough*Windows 8*cough**cough*)
Support: Since the world knows Windows, You can probably ask your next door neighbor for help.
Gaming: You want to game like a boss? You want to get the most FPS? With your epic system that’s fitted with: a 1024 core AMD QuantumThreadRipper clocked at 6.0Thz, 8 x GTX 2080Ti Founders Edition, 6 petabyte PCIe 8.0 SSD, 16 TB of DDR8 RAM, triple 16K monitors with a refresh rate of 1800hz? weeellpp, Windows is about as great as you can get for gaming. (Just don't forget to install your liquid nitrogen cooling system)
Enterprise Solutions: Yes Linux has all the options too but, if you want to have a reliable, flexible, powerful IT department, Windows comes with amazing software for that purpose.

Windows Cons:

Development: Making native apps for Windows? Sure that's fine, install a crap ton of software and off to the races…have you ever tried installing Ruby with developer extensions? Have you ever tried installing GCC on Windows? Oh man, try installing Git too! Now you begin to install the software and it starts throwing errors…whats wrong? I can't install the software! Why? I think we are missing something! What are we missing? I don't know! Now, most of that stuff is packaged into Visual Studio but you may end up chewing 40GB of space. To say the least, getting started with Windows Development is a major headache.
Licensing and DRM: You can’t just take a hard drive with Windows 10 and stick it in a different computer. You can’t install Windows 10 legally on a unlicensed motherboard. EDIT: Oh now you can, with a Microsoft account! See Privacy for more details!
Pre-installed bloatware: I don't play Candy Crush thank you very much. No, I don't need MCAFee either, I know what I am doing. WHAT? I CAN'T UNINSTALL THIS? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?
Privacy: It is now much better than it first started in Windows 10 but, you are putting a whole lot of trust in the possibility that they are telling the truth. In any case, If you are at all concerned about privacy and not having info sent to advertisers (which most of the time are not bad), Privacy on Windows 10 is and always will be a nightmare despite all the settings and apps. Oh, did you know that Microsoft does sell some of your information from your Microsoft and Xbox Account? Well you can change that default behavior if you are indeed concerned.
Price: $200 per machine. Unless you have a business license or you are an OEM provider. (Price based on retail price of Windows 10 Pro)
Windows Updates: …
Stability: (Your mileage may vary) BSOD’s, NTFS Corruption, Apps crashing…
NT Kernel: It's tested, it works, it's solid, however, it's super behind in a whole slew of things.
The Registry: Who here thinks that this was a good idea?
Size: I haven’t heard of any other OS that takes more than 16GB on the hard drive (after updating it). For most people, Windows has way too many bells and whistles built in.
Installation: Unless you have a deployment tool, it takes at least 2 hours to get going on a Windows machine. In some cases, It is best for a professional to help you or install Windows for you. Oh, better make sure your install disc has the latest Service Pack or you are in for at least 12 hours worth of Windows Updates!
Oops: Welp, gotta reinstall Windows now…where is that license key again?
Hardware Support: Companies has to supply the drivers…and sometimes it doesn’t work that well…

Linux Pros:

Price: Free!
Licensing: Wait, I can literally take a Hard Drive in one computer and just plug it in to another? SWEET! What? I can reverse engineer Linux? SWEET!
Diversity and Choices: What do you want to do? Take over the world? Watch Youtube? Make a Home Theatre PC? Make some machines with a Raspberry Pi? Browse the internet? Hack the NSA? Well, there is a Linux Distro for everything.
Customizing: If a Linux Distro doesn’t fit your tastes, don’t be afraid to make it work for you. If you want to make it look like Windows well, you can make it look like this:

Size: I got Linux Mint installed onto a 8GB Flash Drive with room to spare Smile
Install: Depending on the Distro, anyone can be ready to rock within an hour. My system is more like half-hour. It’s super easy too! several clicks, some fields to fill and BOOM! You are ready to rock!
Keyboard Shortcuts: Not only you can change these, if you know enough, you can fly faster than some eyes can keep up.
Development: Start any development with a 8GB USB Drive! Learn BASH to manipulate your computer to your will! and make some really amazing apps with a few megabytes of text!
Security: If you are concerned, go get yourself educated and look at the source to see if it’s actually secure. If you want to change something, make a pull request! If you find something truly wrong, just Google it, there’s probably a huge controversy over it already.
Privacy: Depending on the Distro, you can be rest assured, your computer isn't selling you out to advertisers. Some distros even come with Tor preinstalled!
Stability: Linux Kernel almost NEVER CRASHES now. Unless you got something drastically wrong with your computer. All of the other problems in your Linux Distro has to do with the packages that make your life easier. Like if you don’t have a supported GPU, x-server may crash and the kernel will take over and give you a command line.
Oops: Crap, I accidentally erased my entire hard drive…Oh, it’s empty now! I know what I want, I can restart from scratch…Hey, that wasn’t too bad! I made it exactly how it is before! Smile
Live CD's: Try it before anything happens to your computer! Or just use it as a rescue system in case you said “oops”!
Updates: When your computer has to restart, it restarts like every other time, no waiting for Windows to finish updating! You can also update whenever is convenient. While it’s updating, you can still use your computer but, I tend to sit and stare at the beautiful lines blazing through my screen.
Support: There are quite a bit of passionate Linux people like me now. We would be very very happy to help you out with your problems! Just ask! The solution may be just a few lines away!
Scammers and Viruses: Linux is not invulnerable to Viruses, Hackers and Scammers. That’s your job to prevent however, since the world runs on Windows, most of the viruses made are meant for Windows and cannot run on Linux…Take that Windows!
Hardware Support: I got Linux to run on an Pentium III with 512MB of RAM! Point being, you wanna get your money worth out of that old computer? Put Linux on it!
Package Managers: Aptitude, I know you don’t have super cow powers, but, you certainly do save me from installing a sketchy version of certain software!
Linux Cons:

Software: While there are much much better alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite and, Microsoft Office, these software are not supported on Linux (Well, Adobe doesn’t make the greatest software anyways)
Gaming: Pretty spotty at the moment, no worries, lots of passionate, smart people are working on it. (unless you have an unsupported GPU which well…good luck to you)
Learning Curve: If you are an advanced Windows User, you are going to have to make some major adjustments if you want to switch over to Linux. If you are a person that just wants email, Youtube, Flash, Quora, basic MSOffice, then ignore this con.
Support: The desktop world does not mainly run on Linux unfortunately. If you went to some IT Firms and said “I got an issue with my Linux Machine!” They would be completely caught off guard and sometimes, unable to help you. That’s why you will want to talk to someone like me
Oops: This is the fifth desktop install this week! I need to stop breaking things! Damn it Root, you spoil me too much.
GPL: In case you ever seek profit off of the software you make that has Linux as part of it…well…That can be kind of tricky. But, there are ways around it! And some businesses (RedHat, Ardour, etc.) are very successful in making money!
Jeeees Acar

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm
Linux

Pros

Runs on just about any hardware. It is a misnomer that Linux lacks the driver support of Windows and OSX. Linux actually has the broadest driver support of any system. I don’t see Windows running on your TomTom. What is true, is that the latest and greatest hardware doesn’t come to Linux first if the manufacture choose not write Linux drivers. For most things this isn’t a problem for the same reason it isn’t a problem for OSX. Just be aware of the issue before running out to buy the latest add on.
More options than any other system. This is a pro and a con. If you want to change anything in Linux you can. The only limiting factor is your desire to figure out how.
Way more secure than Windows XP and even OSX.
Everything is free. Although please donate a little something to your favorite projects.
If you choose to, you can always be on the cutting edge of computer science. All the new ideas in development on college campuses across the world are tried on Linux first and then the best of those filter down to Apple and Windows but, what’s best is subjective so Linux leaves you with a choice, while Apple and Windows limit you.
Full access to the free open source library of software. Great full featured, compatible, and free replacements for your proprietary software.
Linux management, for example patch management, is much easier. Typical one command or wizard has to be invoked in order to update everything vs. Windows where you have to get OS patches from Microsoft and third party patches from each individual vendor.
Cons

The latest and greatest hardware is typically slower to reach Linux.
The shear number of options can be daunting to a non-technical user. Although, like OSX, the distribution you select will determine the level of complexity presented or hidden from the end user. For instance, my mom would have no problem using Ubuntu but, only the uber techies among us would opt for the Gentoo Linux distribution.
Limited support for proprietary applications. Although you can use Microsoft Office for Windows on Linux by using an open source version of the Windows application programing interface called WINE, I wouldn’t recommend it for the non-technical user. Instead use Open Office, which comes with the Ubuntu distribution, for creating documents compatible with Microsoft Office.
Limited vendor support. This is getting better. Dell now offers systems with Ubuntu pre-installed and those sub $300 Walmart PC’s that they couldn’t keep in the stores were from Everex. As for software support, even though this is under cons, I can’t really say this is a bad thing. In 20 years Microsoft has never answered a question when I have bothered to call them. I may spend hours searching their knowledge base to find an answer to my question. On the other hand, Linux has a massive community of people willing to help. A quick search of the Ubuntu forums will generally reveal an answer, and if not, then a quick post to the forum normally gets a response.
Basically, for all its pros and cons, Linux comes down to choice. If you can think it, you can probably do it.
Jeeees Acar

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm
indows XP Windows 7

Pro’s

More then 80% of the desktop computers in the world run some sort of Windows operating system.
You won’t have any trouble finding hardware and drivers.
You won’t have any problems finding support.
Most widely supported operating system for games.
Large shareware and freeware application library.
Con’s

The most prone operating system for spyware and virus applications.
You are going to need support.
General instability due to the shear number of possible configurations.
Poor security.
Limited access to the library of free open source software.
Jr Despi

Pros and Cons Empty Windows vs. Mac. vs. Linux

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:20 pm
Let's start with the most popular: Windows
With almost 90% of the operating system market share, you can't miss Windows. It's in commercial buildings, industrial facilities, as well as home computers.
Windows, having been introduced in 1985, is a very mature and complete piece of software. Yet, it has it's flaws...

Pros:
Compatibility: Almost every application, driver or game will work on Windows.
Technical support: Having so many users, you can always find someone (either online or offline) who can help you with Windows.
Huge quantity of function: When you get to know Windows well, you'll find out that there are so many functions that you can do almost anything quite easily.

Cons:
Viruses: You may need to buy an antivirus program, although free ones exist.
Slow: Windows, especially Vista and 7, requires a lot of computer resources (memory, processor, disk space), and thus, runs slower.
Price: It easily costs over a hundred dollars.

Another big player: Macintosh
Apple's Macintosh OS is even older than Windows. It is the first ever successful graphical-based operating system, being released one year before it's Microsoft counterpart.

Pros:
Viruses: Apple Macs get almost no viruses. This is mostly due to Window's superior market share.
Reliability: Macs only run on Apple computers, and are thus less prone to hardware and software crashing.
Looks: Let's face it, most of the time, Mac just looks better than Windows.

Cons:
Expensive: Mac costs even more than Windows.
Only available on Apple computers: If you already have a computer, you cannot install MAC on it unless it's an Apple. Otherwise, you must buy a new computer.
Compatibility: Only a few programs will run on Mac, and almost no games.
Smaller but growing: Linux

Linux is GNU's answer to Mac and Windows. Yes, this means that Linux is FREE! By free, you can download, modify and redistribute it without spending a dime! . Linux is a younger player in the OS world, having been written in 1991, and is optimized for modern use (well, more than Windows and Mac). Unfortunately, it has some disadvantages also...

Pros:
Price: Linux is F-R-E-E. You can download it, install it, use it, modify it... All for a whooping 0$.
Variety: Linux is not a full operating system. It is just a kernel. To use the kernel, additional software needs to be bundled with Linux. Several hundreds of these bundles (called "distributions" or simply "distros") exist. The most popular ones include Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora. The good thing is, with so many different flavours of Linux, there is always one to suit your needs!
Viruses: Although being more vulnerable to viruses than Mac (because it is open source), Linux still has very, very, very few viruses.

Cons:
Complicated: Although some distros are quite easy to use, most of them will required a good deal of computer knowledge in order to get them to work.
Compatibility: Like Mac, representing only a few percents of the market share, Linux does not have as many programs and games as Windows.
Vendors: You won't find a lot of vendors selling Linux computers. Usually, you'll just end up having to buy Windows computer, reformatting the hard drive, and installing Linux yourself.
Bottom line
In conclusion, no operating system is really better, the choice is up to you. If you're a gamer, then you have no choice, go for Windows. Programmers might prefer Linux and video/graphics producers will probably tend towards Mac. The best thing to do is probably to try each OS and see which is best for you!
uvero jerico

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:21 pm
Mac OS X, Time Machine

Configuring backups has, traditionally, been one of the least fun things about computing. It's perhaps only slightly less frustrating than trying to recover your system from said backup. If you don't have too many files to back up, services like Dropbox, Sugarsync, and Windows Live Mesh work quite well. In fact, for several years I used Live Sync (formerly Foldershare, now called Live Mesh) to create real-time offsite backups of my most important files. But you can't back up and recover an entire system that way.

Apple introduced Time Machine backup software with Mac OS X 10.5 in 2007, and I have to say it's one of the more brilliant tools I've used. Time Machine is easy to configure and pretty much operates as a set-and-forget service. You can back up to a local drive connected via USB or Firewire or even to network storage via Ethernet or WiFi. As long as your backup volume is available, Time Machine creates hourly, daily and weekly incremental backups of your system.

When trouble strikes, you can go into the Time Machine and recover previous versions of individual files or even the entire system. It's not perfect, but so far I've been successful in all of my attempts at recovery with Time Machine. I've even used Time Machine backups to restore all of a user's files from an older, failing machine to a new one.

Unix, The Shell Terminal

The terminal was my first experience of computing...and by terminal I mean a teleprinter terminal: typewriter keys and a continuous roll of paper scrolling up line by line. The shell was also, for a long time, my portal to the Internet. Then there was MS-DOS...

Command line computing lives on, and is even making something of a comeback among users of graphical UI operating systems. Linux and Mac OS X still have their terminal fanboys. And of course you've got a selection of shells, from the original Bourne shell to bash, C, dash, Korn and Z, not to mention fish, psh, rc, scsh, wish and zoidberg.

Windows had its roots in the MS-DOS command line, and continues to this day with the "DOS box" command prompt, cmd.exe. There's Windows PowerShell if you want a more robust scripting environment in Windows, and Cygwin if you prefer something more in line with the traditional Unix terminal.

There's always tension between command-line and graphical interfaces, and for the last decade or more, GUIs have been the dominant face of most OSes. But as Max Steenbergen writes in his article "Commands Lines: Alive & Kicking" for UX Magazine, the command line is making a comeback via app launchers like Alfred, Launchy and GNOME Do. Even applications like Google Chrome and Wolfram|Alpha are blurring the line between textual search and command-line scripting.

Bringing the command line full-circle, a clever coder even built a personal Web site that hosts a command line in the browser window. Retro, or a step into the future?

Ubuntu, Simplified Linux Setup

Much of the Linux revolution has been powered by hackers of the first order. While getting a Linux system up and running isn't rocket science, it does take quite a bit of planning (is my hardware compatible?), knowledge (sudo what?) and time (I've got work to do...). Of course, once you figure those details out, you end up with a powerful, highly customizable and secure system that runs well even on modest hardware.

Over the years, increasingly easy access to configuration and installation information via the internet has helped Linux reach a broader audience . A large and growing list of high-quality, free, open-source software for Linux also contributes to its appeal. Still, the learning curve has been steep and the availability of over two hundred different Linux distros makes the choice of where to start difficult.

That is until the release of the Debian-derived Ubuntu in 2004. Ubuntu aims for easy installation and configuration, and that's been my experience so far. You can download a live CD ISO or a Windows installer to get going. It doesn't require much of a commitment if you just want to give Ubuntu a try. Burn the ISO to CD and boot from that, or install it in a virtual machine using VirtualBox, Virtual PC or VMWare Player.

The Ubuntu installation includes a lot of software, so you can start playing or working with right away: e-mail and chat apps, Firefox and Chrome browsers, media apps and OpenOffice, among many others. And of course, Linux offers a cornucopia of tools for the developer. The Ubuntu Software Center gives you one-click access to a huge library of apps, and updating your software is simple and automatic (and much less intrusive than Windows Update).

BeOS, 64-Bit Journaling File System

When Jean Louis Gasse left Apple, he founded a new team that created the charming and forward-looking BeOS in 1991. At the time, BeOS featured some pretty radical technology. Designed from the ground up as an efficient, lightweight multithreaded system with preemptive multitasking, it was very fast on modest hardware and scaled up to take advantage of any processors on the system (in those days, rarely more than two, but still...).

The file system included with BeOS, however, is one of its truly cool features. Called BFS (BeOS File System), it was a 64-bit journaling file system using file attributes, or metadata. The ability to query and sort against file metadata gave BFS some relational database-like quality similar to what we may finally see via WinFS in Windows 8. The 64-bit address space gave BFS the theoretical ability to support volumes of more than eight exobytes and files over 30 GB. This at a time when 30 GB hard drives were hardly commonplace.

Coupled with BeOS's performance-focused multithreaded core, BFS could provide high-performance streaming read, write and query access to storage with the ability to recover quickly after a failure. This made BeOS well-suited for audio and video manipulation, a task that it still accomplishes today in high-end media production systems.

There's a lot more to understand about the technical details of BFS. If you're curious to know more, take a look at Andrew Hudson's article at Ars Technica titled "The BeOS file system: an OS geek retrospective," along with a great interview with BFS creators Benoit Schillings and Dominic Giampaolo at The Register.

BeOS faded away as a commercial OS, but there's still a small, loyal group of enthusiasts keeping the flame burning. If you can find a BeOS 5 CD, it'll probably run on most commodity x86 hardware. Software is available from the BeBits repository. In addition, the Haiku project is an ongoing community effort to build a source-compatible open-source version of BeOS. They recently dropped an Alpha 2 release that's reasonably stable and runs most of the available legacy code.

IRIX, SGI Dogfight
Back in the early '90s, my employer struck a deal with Silicon Graphics to port our software to IRIX. I recall some Indy and Indigo boxes arriving at the office and a lot of oohing and ahhing among the staff. I don't recall whether we actually completed the ports -- probably not, given the state of things in the office. But as the eager young kid in the office I was given the exciting job of helping to set up the machines, which for the most part meant loading up applications from various tapes.

While waiting for the tapes to load up and spill their data, I did have a chance to explore the system. And one of the items I discovered hidden in the demos was a little gem called Dogfight. This little app was a 3D flight simulator that featured IP multicast-based multiplayer air combat over our humble little Ethernet network. Sure, it had frame rates and polygon counts you'd laugh at today, but at the time we'd never seen anything like it.

The first components of what would become the Dogfight demo were created by Gary Tarolli in the early '80s. OK, technically Dogfight wasn't an OS feature like some of the other items we've discussed here, but it was designed specifically to highlight the advanced (for the time) 3D rendering capabilities of SGI's systems. Building on his experience with IRIX and Dogfight, Tarolli went on to co-found 3dfx, which produced the Voodoo 3D graphics cards and Glide API -- used by some ground-breaking 3D PC games.

NeXTSTEP, Right-Click Context Menu

According to Wikipedia, the right-click "popup" menu technically originated in Xerox Alto's smalltalk environment. (We've all had a chance to play with one of those, right?) But the first time I experienced the right-click menu was when exploring NeXTSTEP on a friend's then-new NeXTstation. That makes some sense as there's an easily drawn line of inspiration from Alto to Macintosh to NeXT. While Mac OS did not embrace the right-click context menu until much later, it was an OS feature from the start in NeXTSTEP.

Of course, the context menu has become an intrinsic part of Windows, to the extent that it's possible to use right-clicking on pretty much anything in Windows or a Windows-based application as a discoverability tool. No need to look it up, just right-click and see what the options are. You could say the context menus provide useful task hints and shortcuts not unlike Tab command completion in a terminal or IDE.

That said, there are problems with the right-click context menu as currently implemented. First, the Windows context menu is getting rather unwieldy as it fills up with useful -- and esoteric -- options. Install a few applications that have shell integration and you can end up with a menu that contains nearly 20 items. On top of that, the APIs for shell integration make customizing the context menu difficult for anyone but programmers and superusers.

MS-DOS, BASIC

MS-DOS was undeniably the dominant desktop operating system throughout the '80s, and every one of those computers running MS-DOS included the Microsoft BASIC programming language in one form or another. In fact, the version of BASIC created by Paul Allen and Bill Gates predates even MS-DOS, originating as Altair BASIC in the '70s.

The BASIC language tools included in MS-DOS evolved over the years to include rudimentary Integrated Development Environment (IDE) features and a compiler for faster execution of programs. Microsoft BASIC, GW-BASIC, QuickBASIC and QBasic ultimately evolved into the Visual Basic language we know today, acquiring millions of enthusiasts along the way.

More recently, Microsoft DevLabs released an updated Windows interpretation of QBasic called Small Basic, which is intended to be used as a tool for teaching and experimentation.

What's significant about Microsoft BASIC is that it was shipped on tens of millions of computers -- in many cases, the first personal computers to make their way into offices and homes. It was the first opportunity to explore programming for a generation of computer users. Unless you worked in a technical occupation or studied computer science, your first exposure to programming most likely would have been through BASIC on MS-DOS. Hats off to Microsoft for democratizing the art of programming
uvero jerico

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:22 pm
iOS, Multi-Touch

It's true that Apple did not invent touch computing. Far from it. In fact, workable touch computing systems -- albeit crude by current standards -- were produced by IBM and Control Data in the late 1960s and early 1970s. In the 1980s, Bell Labs and the University of Toronto's Input Research Group (including Bill Buxton, currently at Microsoft Research) independently built touch screens that could respond to multiple touches. Microsoft's Surface tabletop computing platform was introduced in 2001.

For an interesting walk through this history of touch computing, read through Bill Buxton's "Multi-Touch Systems that I Have Known and Loved" and other articles on his Web site.

The introduction of what we now know as iOS for the iPhone in 2007, however, represented the first chance for many of us to have a hands-on experience with multi-touch. Apple later opened up iOS and the Cocoa Touch APIs to developers to build their own touch-aware applications, and iOS is now featured on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Of course, Google and Microsoft were not (too far) behind with both Android and Windows Phone 7 featuring their own multi-touch interfaces.

The ability to scroll, slide, select, pinch, turn and expand items on screen with just a few fingers is mind blowing -- and highly intuitive. My not-quite-two year old child has already figured out how to turn on and unlock the iPad, start and close apps, look at photos, or page through a story. Time will tell how developers leverage these interface methods to usher in a new era of computing.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum